Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dogs Vs. Horses at Eisenhower Park

Eisenhower Park in Milford is about the only really great place to take my dog for a hike, and on the North side of the park there even is a small "off-leash" fenced in area.

Lately the Horses and their riders have been at odds with dogs that are "off-leash." Some dog owners have been threatened with fines and some dogs have been allegedly hospitalized as a result of horses viciously kicking them.

Some stories I heard speak of a harmless punt of a dog by horse, and others more severe, including broken bones, internal injury and in some cases death. Recently I asked if anyone could share their personal opinion of this menace and offer any of their thoughts regarding the "horse vs. dog" issue. The most interesting response I heard was as follows.

"The place it's big enough for both. Talk to the major and he may be able to come with something that you can agree on...Like drawing a line for horses and another for the dogs . We all need boundaries, even horses and dogs...Thank God for people like me that are so intelligent...!"


This was a great suggestion, I love the idea of drawing a line and I also love the idea of an "off leash" area but my dog Bella likes to swim and there is no water in the fenced in area. I feel like her day is that much more fulfilling when she takes a dip in the river and shakes off on the grass.

Inevitably I think horses and Dogs will always be at odds, and for good reason Horses get spooked by them, riders also get nervous the dogs will be harmed by their horses kicking or worse themselves, as riders, thrown. Thankfully I have not learned of any real horror stories involving riders being injured because of dogs but I accept that their is a risk. For this reason I trained my dog to come when I call her and when I sense danger leash her until the horse passes.

If anyone insists on letting their dog loose I would stress to please respectfully leash your dog if you see a horse approaching, all it takes in one bad accident and strict enforcement against dog owners will commence. Dogs and horses can get along if we practice common sense and avoid potential hazards.

No comments: