Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Milford Smart Growth abuses now in the form of a Boardwalk.

Having lived in New Jersey for several years I have come to enjoy the boardwalk. By the estimates put forth in the CT Post article it will be the largest boardwalk in the state.

My first inclination about this boardwalk was glee! Than of course I remembered I do not live near the water. While I love to hike I also have 2 small dogs that would really enjoy a long walk between beaches.

Boardwalks are awesome especially when you are young; they are great places for the youth to congregate at night. I have not seen the official plan but usually after a few misdeeds and random crimes the local homeowners will probably start to scream for lights as if that will improve things. It will drive up the city’s cost of maintaining and policing the boardwalk for certain. It may even warrant hiring more police!

The cost of lighting is amazing, and if these lights come from UI the city will be leasing them for life in addition to an outrageous electric bill. This boardwalk is an ill fated attempt that ultimately results in abuse in the name of "Smart Growth." If this boardwalk was done by the “defacto” autocratic smart growth rules, my guess is that no one who lives on the waterfront was given the courtesy of a phone call or a respectful opportunity to object to it in a zoning court.

This boardwalk will be running right next to people’s property and will have an unknown effect on the type of element it will attract. Hopefully this boardwalk, now that we are apparently stuck with it, will not attract the same elements that the West Haven Boardwalk has attracted.

My last visit to that boardwalk, included a vicious dog fight, Drunks littering, Ill placed Bocce courts, and a circus of people skating, jogging and parading in every direction.

Thank God I do not live on the waterfront, because at my age the pristine view from my back window would not include a public "Smart Growth" pandemonium... unless of course I was 16 again and on vacation at Long Branch N.J. than it might be a blast.

Once again Amann shame on you for redesigning peoples back yards for your "Smart Growth Agenda." What gives you the right to redesign peoples back yards? With all of your spending challenges I find it amazing that you were even able to bilk the state of CT for this ridiculous project. Perhaps you would rather spend this money helping our needy state schools and reconsider.

Rocco J. Frank Jr.

No comments: