The environment has been an issue of mine for quite a while, but with limited local, state and federal resources to actually accomplish such a herculean task I believe it is important to focus on the removal of the most toxic compounds first.
One such compound that is of greatest concern to me and is considered a big problem for the entire Northeast is Mercury in our environment. Being in the Electronics industry, and soon after I learned of the mercury problem I instituted a Computer Recycling program to dispose of computer parts containing Mercury in an Eco-friendly way. But the computer industry is only a small part of the problem.
Coal burning power plants, like the one here in Milford, are also a big problem, because when coal is burned residual mercury contained in the coal itself is actually spewed into the environment through the plants smoke stacks. Energy companies, who also have excessive electric costs also compound the mercury problem by causing a surge in the sales of compact fluorescent bulbs that save energy, but also contain mercury.
Mercury is a major health hazard and is directly connected to a pandemic neurological and brain disorders, that can induce Autism, Muscular Sclerosis, Attention Deficit Disorder, memory loss, and many other devastating diseases. With record sales of compact fluorescent bulbs due to record spikes in electricity mercury in the Northeast needs to be addressed as the number one health hazard to the general public. Signs such as this one in Ohio may become more commonplace if we do not adress this problem right away.
Anyone who has any products containing mercury, including T.V.'s, old thermostats, neon, monitors or compact fluorescent bulbs, should not break them, trash them, or put them in a place where they can come in contact with the ground water. Mercury if ingested, can and does cause neurological damage. Other sources of mercury can be found in dental fillings from years back, but the most recent positive change on the mercury front is that all modern batteries no longer contain mercury after the year 2000.
Today's post is a renewed call to our local legislators that the high cost of electricity is elevating the introduction of mercury in our environment at an alarming rate and a remediation plan needs to addressed immediately for the safety of children who may be at risk of exposure.