Monday, July 21, 2008

Post Mall Triggers Three Fire Alarms Over The Weekend

The Connecticut Post Mall triggered three fire alarms over the weekend. At the time these alarms went off I was with my kids over at the new Kidz Zone arcade located near Sears. The fear and frustration from confused patrons and the youngsters at the arcade was emblematic of the post 9/11 world we built.

When the first alarm tripped the entire arcade blacked out, every game went dead and an ominous voice came over the public announcement system broadcasting an emergency within the mall. Even more creepy the announcement was accompanied by what sounded like an emergency siren.

This went on about every thirty minutes for about an hour and a half. Finally, I was really interested in what was causing these back to back alarms. First the announcements said there was an issue of concern, and then the all clear was given every time. Perhaps I thought what could this be? The mall was filled with young kids as it was the weekend and the mall is a hot spot for the youngsters, maybe I thought some prankster was pulling the fire alarm.

Finally I did get the answer, my young daughter and I saw the Post Mall concierge on the lower level of the mall, over by the main elevator. When I asked her what was the emergency she said that "had there been an emergency she would have been out of there immediately." However that was not the case, the problem was that a construction crew working at Abercrombie and Fitch kept tripping a sensor that was connected to the fire alarm. The manager of the kids place arcade, who actively engaged in processing customer refunds was needless to say frustrated as the consequential power outages "cost him $1,600.00" in losses for the day.

No comments: