Monday, March 10, 2008

Connecticut Lobsters And Fishing Season

When I was in College, I took up Scuba Diving, and last week when I was watching some old family movies of that time period, the late 80's, I was reminded of what happened to that old shirt of mine. The shirt, featured in my home movie, had a Scuba diver chasing after about 100 lobsters.

One of the best things about Scuba diving trips was being able to catch lobsters and bring them home for dinner. A tasty treat everyone in the family loved, especially my parents at the time who despite the cost of these excursions, got to look forward to me bringing home some good treats.

Although I have not Scuba dived in quite a long time, I was once again thinking of the wonderful fish treats that the Long Island Sound contains. In the past I have enjoyed Blue Fish, Flounder, Mussels, Oysters and a variety of other random things besides lobsters.

This is something that I have been thinking about again in light of the increasing food prices that are coming. I will be writing soon on this issue because the biggest concern that I have in eating out of the LIS is the quality of the fish, and their associated levels of toxicity. I have not seen any mercury warnings in a while of which is a good sign, but I did read some time ago that the lobsters in the sound have been having some difficulty with sickness. I do plan to do some more fishing this summer and I will report back with the status of my catch if any.

I also have the privilege and honor of having my brilliant step daughter going to the Bridgeport Aquaculture School this year and will have access to a wealth of scientific knowledge on the health of our ecosystem of which I believe has improved over what it was some years ago. When I have an opportunity to learn with her I will share interesting facts about our ecosystem.

Until then wish me luck while I am out fishing this Spring, maybe I will see you out there. Or maybe not because I keep the good spots a personal secret, but if you do your work you will find me look for my USA hat.

No comments: