Friday, March 28, 2008

Milford Legislators Under Pressure To Save Teachers


Yesterday, I was out dropping my step daughter to baseball practice. While completing my sponsorship donation to the little league, I was approached by a young gentleman and his mother.

The young man was armed with a petition in his hand and was remarkably upset that his favorite teacher at school was told she may not have a job next year. Accompanied by his mother, we discussed his concerns directed at mayor Richetelli. His story was heartfelt, and the amount of money requested small so Terri and I both signed his petition. At this point I felt honored to express my support of our town teachers and I indicated my opinion about the whole unfortunate situation.

To explain my view I will first remind the people of Milford, that our state has found over a Million Dollars for a boardwalk, money for random parks on bridges, expensive clocks, 60+ thousand to move a scaffold for a party at the Capitol, and money for Tax Exempt church schools, but so far nothing from the state to close what I believe to be a one million dollar gap to save the jobs of apx. 200 teachers.

Milford has several representatives, and the Almighty "Speaker Of The House" AKA Gubernatorial candidate in 2010. I suppose our energy in closing this gap should be directed toward the person who has the most authority in our district Speaker Amann. My personal belief is, that other influential House Speakers have been able to accomplish a great deal for their home towns by way of their authority, whereas Amann has fallen embarrassingly short in delivering us the funds.

With all the money spent in town over the last several years you would think that it would be possible to close a simple one Million dollar gap to save 200 jobs. The petitions are now circulating and the heat is on all our elected leaders to save 200 jobs. Should Amann alone fail in his quest this will mark 250 lost jobs at Bic in his district and now 200 more in the school system.

Anyone truly interested in saving the teachers of our town should direct their attention to our legislators as I believe the city has laudably exhausted it self in making cutbacks to the present budget.

No comments: