Friday, May 23, 2008

Milford Faring Well Amid Tepid Times

The paper was a pleasure to read this week as the schools recieved a partial victory with one million dollars restored to the school budget. The yearly address by our town mayor indicated the city is doing well despite the difficult economy, but warned that if things did not improve there remained a chance that those problems could catch up with us.

It is always good to read great news, or as some of my friends put it news that appears to be a compromise in which the needs of the taxpayers are balanced with that of the schools system.

Schools are very important to many here in Milford and Connecticut, and funding is the "grease" that makes it all work. This victory, although it had what appears to be a positive outcome may be a pyrric victory as some local disenfranchised taxpayers feel betrayed by by the very alderman they voted to elect.

One such taxpayer indicated that "they were elected to do one thing, and now they did the opposite. I really feel bad for the teachers but I have to chose between food and medicine, I could barely pay my taxes now what do they expect me to do? Does anyone feel bad for me?"

The budget may be in order for 2008 but the reality of this situation is that absent some real economic improvement Milford only managed to "dodge the bullet."

No comments: