Thursday, August 7, 2008

Devon Day Vs. Devon Revitalization Committee

Some time ago I created a post that was communicated to me as ambiguous and even was told that it did not accurately discern the difference between Devon Day, the community event, and the Devon Revitilazation Commiittee, the elected officials and influencial citizens spending the state grant money.

This post today came about in the final days of working the campaign trail, in the perils of meeting folks out in Devon I had the opportunity of speaking with a member of the Devon Day board. Needless to say she was upset with one of my posts, she felt that because Nanci Seltzer who is associated with Devon Day and is now running for state Representative has put the work and mission of the community event under fire.

First I would like to restate what I menioned in the earlier article that I wrote, that is I support not only Devon Day but any community event that brings people together in a good way. There is nothing more important to me than people and events that build community pride and help their less fortunate neighbors improve their community.

This means helping the seniors keep their yards in order, picking up trash on your street, leaving a garbage can in a park if the city has not. Doing things to show we care about the places in which we live, and keeping clean the place where kids play. This all starts in your own piece of milford, your yard.

My issues with Devon are not with the unrelated Devon Day, but the Devon Revitalization Committee who, in the past, and in my opinion has made some bad decisions with the use of the grant money they recieved. I.E. building a park on a bridge, and then putting an 80,000 clock there that now is broken.

No comments: