Sunday, August 17, 2008

Milford Oyster Fest Posts Huge Turnout Despite A Little Rain

The Milford Oyster festival was a huge success marked with much community involvement from a plethora of small business owners, arts and crafts vendors, rides, and political celebrities.

The most notable guest of this years festival, besides Foghat, was Jim Amann's 2010 opponent for governor Jody Rell. Some have clamored the irony of her guest appearance here in Milford but she was not short of company as local politicians, including our mayor and other candidates here in town, were "glued" to her as she travelled from booth to booth.

To our disappointment her entourage came within our vicinity and stared at the Independent Party booth. One of our volunteers Terri, said they looked rather perplexed, unsure what to do and ultimately walked passed us as if it was the right thing to do. Others disagreed and thank Gayle Slossberg who greeted us with her entire entourage with hugs for some of us who are her fans. I also would like to thank Richard Roy our state Representative from the 119Th who also was polite, introduced himself and engaged in positive friendly chat and Mike Brown who openly introduced himself and invited me to meet my Democratic opponent.

When I first embarked on this venture for state Rep. I called Jim Amann who said it was rather "odd" that I made a request to meet with him since I was in the running against him. His refusal to meet with me was even more strange in that he decided not to run shortly after the request was made. The reason that I add this point here is because at no time is my door closed to meeting with my opponents or anyone with ambitions of taking office. I have not met both my opponents but while I was out canvassing I did have the opportunity to present myself to my Republican contender.

My door is always open to any and all leaders I hold no allegiance to any party, I pay no favors to anyone. My beliefs and faith are in the values and integrity of good people, especially those who keep our best interests at heart.

No comments: