Monday, April 7, 2008

Milford Parent Disappointed With Event Cancellation

The following letter was submitted to my blog this morning. It speaks to the feelings of many parents not just this one instance. Letter sent via E-Mail to Superintendent Polansky.

----------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Polansky,

I am sending this email out of sheer disappointment and frustration. My daughter is an 8th grader at Harborside Middle School. There have been at least 2 recent situations that I have found disturbing and totally unacceptable. The first is the cancellation of the 8th grade lock-in due to a “lack of chaperones”. I have spoken with many other parents who feel the same way about how this was handled. The automated phone calls from the school are a great way to communicate DIRECTLY with parents. This system was used but only to cancel the event rather than to alert parents ahead of time that unless a specific number of parents came forward to volunteer that the event would need to be cancelled. This was very upsetting to me as this event was to make up for the 8th grade trip to Washington DC. that was also canceled.

The second unacceptable situation is that I received a letter on April 4th, dated April 1st congratulating my daughter, Lea, as her art work was chosen to be on display at the Parsons Complex. The letter was an invitation to a reception with refreshments etc. I opened my mail that evening (8:15pm) only to find that the event was the day before!!! I was so angry. How is it that if it this opening reception was to honor the accomplishment of these select students, that this delay in informing parents could happen? Lea was so upset. It was a week of disappointment that could have and should have been avoided. I have spoken with both the Dean and the secretary at Harboside. I have heard all of the reasons and excuses. I am not satisfied.

I am concerned that these 2 very recent situations have brought down kid’s spirits and have lessened their faith in the adults they have trusted and counted on. I would like to know what the Board of Education will do to ensure that this will not be the norm for Milford Public Education.

I would appreciate a prompt response as my blood has been boiling.

Sincerely,
Terri Finch


--------------------------------------------------------

No comments: